Monday, February 16, 2009

Delta Spirit - Double Door on Valentine's Day




Rounder Records asked me to attend the Delta Spirit show at the Double Door in Chicago on Valentine's Day and I did not hesitate.

I have been a big fan of Delta Spirit for quite some time now, but never got a chance to see them live. For those of you who do not know Delta Spirit, they are hybrid of rock and southern soul and hail from San Diego California. The group incorporates unconventional instruments (such as trash cans lids and orchestral bass drums), the multi-instrumentalism of the members and the vocal delivery and religiously/spiritually-themed lyrics of singer Matt Vasquez. The group consists of Jon Jameson (bassist), Brandon Young (percussionist), Matthew Vasquez (vocalist), Sean Walker (guitarist), and Kelly Winrich (multi-instrumentalist). They remind me a lot of the Cold War Kids!

Now I have been to the Double Door several times since it is literally in my backyard, but never have I seen the place so packed. It may have been a chilly 30 degrees outside, but inside there was a heat wave as warm bodies fought for space. The band took the stage to some funky rap music and set the tone for what was to be a high-energy show. Matt Vasquez's vocals are beyond badass. When he sings, you can hear the passion stream from his vocal chords and you can't help but get wrapped up in the music. At one point, the crowd was so into it and jumping up and down so hard, the floor felt like a trampoline and I thought I was going to be launched on stage.

After the guys finished up their encore, Matt jumped into the crowd and formed a dancing circle. Talk about a fun guy!

All of their music sounds great, but highlights include "Trashcan", "Streetwalker", and "People, Turn Around".

Check out a picture of Matt and me along with some pics and a video from the show.

1 comment:

Jerms said...

did i see you turning from ashland onto augusta this morning in the jetta? i think it was you and you almost hit me... haha